Friday 14 August 2015

You have an idle thought on a Saturday afternoon...

... and a few weeks later you're on the BBC website. You can read an interview with me trying to explain my Twitter project 'Old English Wisdom' here - that is, if you're not tired of hearing me talk about it, as I did at some length on this blog here and here. All the tweets posted so far can be found on this page.

This is very exciting but odd, too, because this isn't some great research project or a news story at all - it really was just an idle thought, something I thought would be a fun experiment, and Anglo-Saxon wisdom literature isn't my 'real research', so it's rather awkward to be described as an 'expert' on it! I'm not claiming to be that, I hope. I just very much like these texts, some of which I've known for years, some of which were new to me when I started doing this in my spare time. I enjoy translating them, and I enjoy thinking about them, and they've brought me a lot of comfort and pleasure over the past few months. I'm so glad to see they have been doing the same for others.

7 comments:

Cornflower said...

Great!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad to hear from you again. I was very worried about you following your post on the 2nd. We, your blog audience, cannot offer stable pay and conditions, nor can we offer academic accolades: but we can and do offer our real appreciation of your wisdom as well as the Old English Wisdom.

David Wilson said...

What I love about the wisdom is that it's like hearing from a [very] long-lost relative, and finding they always looked out for you - and still are... Many thanks as ever.

Thomas Hillman said...

Well, your posts of 'Old English Wisdom' are fun and informative. I was pleased to see a bit of Maldon several posts back. It's one of the poems on my long, long list.

And while you may not be an 'expert'in this area within your world, to the media and the general public you certainly are. Most outside the academy are unaware of such distinctions within fields.

Please keep posting them as well as your regular blog posts.

Freda said...

I recently had the idle thought of going to Venice for a month in winter - it just popped into my head one evening! I have just booked an apartment. Hurrah for idle thoughts! So nice to have found you (via Rosebank Ramblings).

Freda said...

Oops! I found you via Cornflower Books of course...

sensibilia said...

Awesome! Congratulations on your success.

I've got a picture for you ref #10, on my blog.